In recent times, the world is becoming a safer, cleaner, and more sustainable place to live and work. One of the significant areas that have been focused on by the government in different nations is promoting sustainable living and conserving valuable resources through proper waste management.
The food service industry is one of the leaders in waste production. This is because the choices made about foods, equipment, logistics and materials used for catering events greatly influence environmental sustainability.
The use and disposal of plastic plates, cutlery, cups, and excess food are sources of waste, which can significantly impact the environment. Due to this, caterers in the foodservice industry can contribute to sustainability by affecting best practices through sustainable catering.
What is sustainable catering?
Sustainable catering allows professionals to reduce the carbon footprint of their events by providing sustainable food choices for participants. It also entails planning your event to include the following;
Sustainable food choices like:
- Fresh, local and seasonal produce
- Vegetarian foods
- Fair Trade produce (typically tea, coffee, and chocolate)
- Organic produce
Sustainable Catering Supplies such as
- Using jugs of tap water rather than bottled water
- Using recyclable crockery and cutlery. When that is not possible, then non-disposable crockery and cutlery may be used instead.
- The use of recycled content, paper napkins, linen napkins, and tablecloths is promoted.
Proper Waste Management
What is a catering event without waste? However, in sustainable catering, waste is relatively minimal. Sufficient waste bins for both general and recyclable wastes are provided while wastes are correctly disposed of. This includes green clearing where only environmentally friendly, biodegradable and non-toxic cleaning supplies are used.
Why You Should Opt For Sustainable Catering
- Delivers meaningful health results: In sustainable catering, only fresh fruit and vegetables are grown without pesticides and fertilizers; GMOs, ionizing radiation, and sewage sludge are used in food preparation. At the same time, animals are grown organically with no growth hormones. These type of foods delivers the best nutritional value to humans. They also reduce human exposure to all forms of harmful substances and keep the body healthy and strong at all times.
- Environmental benefits: The environment benefits too. Sustainable catering uses only organic food, which does not require chemicals, pesticides, and fertilizers that damage our environment by polluting waterways and destroying fertile land. With the increased demand for organic food, non-commercial agriculture is reduced, and the environment has to contend with fewer chemicals.
- Better waste management: With sustainable catering, less waste is generated, as many recyclable and biodegradable elements are used.
Finally, sustainable catering is the best option for anyone who wants to support the government’s effort to ensure an eco-friendly ecosystem and live healthily. If you are searching for a sustainable catering firm in Warwickshire, then your best option is to opt for The Warwickshire Catering Company.
Known as a leading catering firm in Warwickshire, They offer a wide range of catering options for corporate clients. From healthy breakfasts and lunches to sophisticated dinners, The Warwickshire Catering Company has everything it takes to meet your needs.